CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 14, 2008

A New Respect


When I was a kid, I loved the Little House on the Prairie books/tv programs/movies. This year I began reading the series to Ahnika and Natalia. Talia will tolerate them fairly well (she has, after all, just turned 5). Ahnika, on the other hand, adores them! Both girls do get excited about the whole idea though! I think that they can relate well to Mary, Laura, and Baby Carrie. (Ahnika, Talia, baby Jules) =D

I never truly appreciated the history in the books when I was growing up. I definitely romanticized the time period, and loved the stories - but I now have a new respect for the way in which they were written! I definitely think twice about complaining (even to myself) about any situation that I may find myself in - especially after taking to heart the truth of the books and the Laura Ingalls Wilder biography! Just things such as being forced to move off of their settled land, and away from their freshly built (NO easy task by any standard) home because the gov.t "zoned" incorrectly and (as usual - wow, some things never change) some politician was out-to-lunch. Contracting malaria, digging your own well, and blast it all - no AC! =D How could I have romanticized such a thing?!?! ;) I also (I'll admit it) enjoyed reminding the girls of the many long days that the girls had to sit quietly and behave well in a hot covered wagon while they traveled - put the 6 hour trip we were on at the time into perspective! :0) Reading them to my own daughters has been a wonderful experience - even bonding.

Laura's life - especially as she grew older and got married - was FAR from easy... but what a treasure these books are now! What an amazing way to study history!

If you find a chance in your busy life, re-read them! They are every bit as entertaining, and far more informative, when you have a few life experiences under your belt to temper the fantasy of the "olden days" with. ;)

0 comments: